Thursday, May 6, 2010

First Week In May, A Cold Windy Shoot


Drove to Crane on Monday morning with friends Gary, pulling a 32' toy hauler, and Jim, hauling a 11' camper. Luckly I was only driving my Excursion as the wind was crossway and on our quarter tail all the way. The prediction was for gusts to 50 and I beleive it. Arrived Crane about 12:30 and set up. Went out in the afternoon to check out the rats and found a few up in our favorite field. By up, I mean at least laying on the ground chewing on alfalfa shoots. Not much of a target, especially in a 40-50 mph wind. We got out our "ratrouster" shooting chairs and set up on the leeward side of my rig ( see attached picture). Notice the dust in the background. It settled in all around us a few minutes later, so we picked up and headed for camp.

The next morning, it was a little windy and 35 degrees. Wind chill-Brrrrr. Shot in one field till noon and moved to another for the PM shoot. About 3:30, the wind calmed down and I was in my T-shirt. Bill and I shot til 7pm. He had confirmed kills of 241 and I had 178. The other 3 had about as many, but they didn't count. Said it was easier to lie if there was no proof.

Next morning ( Wed) it was blowing hard again. We tried a little shooting,but, it was bitterly cold. Three of us pulled out after lunch and headed home and Bill and Ty stayed, The weather here near Sisters is nice with light wind this morning. I hope it is the same for the boys in Crane.

No comments:

Post a Comment