Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunday Rat Shoot







Brother-in-law Scott and I headed out to "The Ranch" late in the morning and started shooting about 11:30. The rats seem to be up all day, so why get up early on Sunday. We shot in one pivot till 4 PM, killing 156. ( Check out the attached picture of a rat gut shot with a .17 HMR. Anything less, is not a kill according to the way we score kills.) 156 dead rats equals 2262 lbs of alfalfa saved for harvest. Added to the 100 kills I got on Friday,that means 3717 lbs of alfalfa saved in the two days. In the paper this morning, I saw some alfalfa hay for $110 per ton. So, we saved the rancher about $200. About the same amount I spent on fuel and ammo for the two days. Well, not really. Actually, I spent about half of that. Any way, Sunday was a great day. around 70 degrees and a little windy causing me to shoot below my average for the amount of ammo fired. Got home at 6 and caught the end of a neighborhood potluck dinner. All in all, a great day. Will probably head for Crane in a couple of days for a repeat of last years group from 3 states shoot. Bullseyes and tight lines. Dobe

1 comment:

  1. Faunching at the bit to get back over to x-mas valley for another rat shoot.Nephew and I sent several hundred of them to rat heaven about a month ago when we were over. Steady shooting even as cold and windy as it was. the rats keep coming up as long as the sun was shining. Got in about 6 hrs steady shooting in two days.

    Ratsmacker

    ReplyDelete